Monday, January 5, 2009

Back to school

I'm in stats class. I had thought that going back to school after a mind-numbingly boring break would be a good thing. It would much of the empty time of my day with much needed rigor and activity. I could not have been more wrong. I am sitting in a chair at a pod with three of my good friends listening to Winston talk about Y-vars and Y-bars maybe even Y-cars. What is the mean duration of time until I off myself with the calculator in my backpack? I can't even muster the energy to pretend I'm paying attention at this point. No one in this class is even making a semblance of an effort to focus. For fuck's sake Winston didn't even know we had class today. He's asking to check our homework. No one has their homework it's been three fucking weeks. This is such a travesty who would possibly have it? Ok well half of my pod had it, but Jeeeezus Christ that's absurd.
There are a bunch of good horror movies coming out this winter. I'm kinda psyched for them. I don't now why. I'm normally a pretty intellectual person, but I like mindless horror films. They are endlessly amusing. They also have awful titles. "The Unborn" "The Uninvited "The Haunting in Connecticut" Those are really really boring titles. The only one of these stupid movies with a decent title is "My Bloody Valentine" too bad that's the name of a band. "The Haunting in Connecticut" and "The Unborn" both look pretty interesting. They are about super natural madness and ghosts and things. Those are always interesting. "My Bloody Valentine" looks sweet because it just seems like a psycho kill-fest and it's in 3-D which could be neat. It also has a sweet ad campaign: "Nothing says date movie like a 3-D ride to hell" I can't help but agree. The seven circles seem like an ideal place to take a girl when you are trying to spit game.
While I'm on the subject of ad campaigns, I'd like to address this Whopper Virgin madness. I want to make this totally clear. I think that might be the funniest thing ever. They take people from random places where apparently the BK lounge has been unable to take hold. They then give these people a Big Mac and a Whopper and ask them to choose which is more delicious. The best part about this is that they find the people who best meet western conceptions of people from Nepal, Transylvania, etc. Most of the time the people pick the Whopper though they have chosen the Big Mac and I think it is pretty good of BK to show those dissenters in their big compilation commercial. The cavalcade of commercial comedy ends with the quote that was my facebook status for most of a week. "Was that good for you Whopper virgin?" Thusly I would put in place Lux's first rule of advertising. This is a rule based on what we learned both from the Whopper virgins and "My Bloody Valentine" The rule is this: Sex jokes in commercials are always funny and effective, so use them well and your product will sell.

No comments:

Post a Comment