Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Music

Yesterday I just wrote a list of movie quotes. I realized that the movies I chose said a lot about me as a person, or at least I think they did. Given that I decided that my musical taste is also probably pretty important. Before I start talking about albums I love, I need to begrudgingly give credit to my good friend Matt who introduced me to a lot of the rap on this list.

5 albums I really like (in no particular order)

1. Somewhere in the Between - Streetlight Manifesto: The fast paced horns complement the guitar well on this fast paced album with its strange themes of death and sadness. The themes of the album don't seem to fit the musical style, yet strangely they are worked in with a deftness that borders on astounding. As far as ska albums go this is the top of the pile. The best songs are probably 40 days and The Receiving End of it All. Both songs have well written lyrics to go with well synchronized musicianship that makes them two of my favorite songs.

2. Theater of The Mind - Ludacris: This album includes what may well be my favorite rap song ever: Undisputed featuring Floyd "Money" Merryweather. The song includes references to various sports teams as well as an inordinate amount of talk about Luda's penis. The intro to the album is a British man yelling, which is always fun, and the second song begins with "I'm the MVP. I'm stupid with this rap shit" It is a fitting start to an absurdly aggressive album. I was impressed. This is definitely Ludacris's best work

3. Sublime - Sublime: An obvious choice, but that's because it's an absolute classic. It contains all of Sublime's best work. Santeria, Wrong Way, What I Got, and Doin' Time are all there. Those songs are all absolutely fantastic. The mix of fast paced songs and mellow jams makes this album a perfect mix to blaze/relax to.

4. The Quilt - Gym Class Heroes: This album moved Gym Class Heroes into "band I actively try to listen to" status. Prior to The Quilt I thought that GCH was an ok band, but all of their songs were basically the same. This album includes some straight up rap, as well as some more instrumental/singing centric songs, and even a few ska-esque tunes that are really sweet. The first several tracks are all fantastic especially, Peace Sign/Index Down, Blinded by the Sun, Guilty as Charged, and Catch Me If You Can.

5. Icky Thump - White Stripes: This album takes Jack White's impressive musical talent and uses it to produce 14 very distinctly different songs. Conquest is in a traditional Spanish style, while Prickly Thorn, but Sweetly Worn is very clearly Irish. Even the songs that are in a rock and roll style are different as Icky Thump and Martyr for my Love for you are two very different sounds.

I would really suggest looking up and listening to these albums if you haven't. I'll make a real post later. I'm in stats right now, so I can't focus on thinking about a post.

No comments:

Post a Comment