Sunday, January 4, 2009

happy "new" year

It's a new year, and of course the new one feels just like the old one. If anything else it's even more boring. I have had the two most boring days of my life consecutively this year. It doesn't even make sense that January first is the new year. We have no idea where the Earth was in its rotation when it started. So why is 1/1 so fucking special? I'm pretty sure it's not I'll be honest, but I'll never pass up a justification for a party. I was having fun with life for a long stretch of this break it was eventful and fun. I am really quite bored now. There is little and less to do these days. I have found some good new music, and some fun video games that kept me occupied for stretches, but now I am forced to try and find the glory in nothingness, and I really can't. There is probably some zen element to all of this. My constant need to do stuff and my inability to sit still probably prevents me from reaching enlightenment. I mean there is a lot to be said for letting life happen to you, but I don't think you can sit in your house and wait for it. I think a part of letting life happen to you is jumping into life. You have to jump in 100% naked and headfirst, but that's really the only way to live, so I don't know if I think boredom is anything more than an urge to get back into the flow of life.
Today I was told to clean my room. My parents clearly don't see the beauty of chaos. I don't think order makes anything more effective, just more boring. Finding sweet stuff in the mess of my room is one of the best things ever, yet apparently that is unacceptable if I don't know where everything is, which kinda defeats the purpose. I'm looking at my room and it occurs to me that the mess has just been relocated. Apparently my dresser is a better place to make dirty than my floor. No one ever goes to my room anyway. I'm not usually home and no one else goes there. The Dutch used to say cleanliness was next to Godliness. I am becoming convinced that it is the opposite. Paradise was the disordered madness of Eden. That was life before we knew what mess was. I think that means that the peak of human existence is a nice shit storm like my room. Blissful madness is better than obsessive compulsive cleanliness in my mind at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment